After passing from Jake’s ownership to mine back in the mists of time, Freida had been mothballed awaiting a suitable juncture at which to continue her restoration. This occurred in late 2020 when she was trailered to the Brundall workshop. Below is the first installation of a YouTube mini-series charting the ongoing works.
On wednesday a productive day was spent removing and repairing the fergie’s hydraulic pump.
The problem turned out to be that the rod which operated the control valve had bent and was therefore jammed.
In addition to this it was discovered that the oscillator rod had snapped at the point where it joins the square oscillator key. This is a system fitted to the revised pump as a way of preventing the control valve from sticking by forcing it to rock back and forth as the pump turns.
As a replacement part could not be sourced easily the decision was taken to leave out the oscillator assembly.
Primary cultivations at Easton College
Today I aquired the long awaited casting which sits inbetween the distributor and the engine block on Freida the Ferguson.
It came with half of an old original lucas distributor which I hastely removed to be replaced with the Duccellier which I took off my Land Rover.
I wire wheeled the casting up to remove decades of paint and grime, I then gave the inside a smear of grease and fitted the Duccellier in it.
I’ll wait for a dry day before I fit it to Freida along with all the other ignition parts and give her a good static timing session.
This evening I managed to remove the link arms and lift rods from Freida. I’ve spent days soaking the seized clevis pins and linkage knuckles in WD40 and trying to club them out with my trusty 3lb ball pein, to no avail.
With no heat source available to make the knuckles glow before smacking the rusted pins out, I decided that the only option available was to cut through the pin with a cutting blade on an angle grinder, in the gap between the knuckle and the lift arm fork.
After doing so I discarded the knuckles, lift rod and link arms as they have had it. Although the coffee grinder is still good.
Pics to follow, as I’ve yet to requisition a camera.
^This^ is/was a tow hitch that Michael and myself designed and made for use on a cat 1 three point linkage. “Great!” you may think. But Freida has no working linkage at the moment? So I’ve had a re-think.
On the underside of the differential/axle casting there are four 5\8″ Whitworth studs set into it for the use of attaching a Ferguson hitch. So I’ve spent the past hour removing said studs and nuts, wire wheeling them up, re-tapping/dieing where neccesarily and inserting them to the correct dept into the casting. As they were highly corroded/pitted from the sea and years of moisture, (And I was taught that salt was a preservative. Hahaa) And some clown hadn’t screwed them in all the way, or gave up when the nuts siezed to them.
I plan to bolt a simple frame onto these holes which extends 10″ rearward, roughly inline with the rim of the wheel. Here, I shall mount my towball.
Much like this fine piece of engineering.
With both side covers removed from Freida’s back end, all bolts undone and a severe amount of jiggling and poking of all parts, I can’t seem to remove her hydraulic lift assembly. Even after consulting Mr Ferguson’s Bible I’m none the wiser.
I can’t seem to disconnect the hand control fork from the control valve, even if this was done, it seems that there is another brace between the fork, yet below the main driveshaft that runs through the back end. Therefore I can’t lift the lift assemly out.