Here are a few pictures from the construction of my screw type log splitter. I used the chassis of a pasture topper to form the base, making this a useful duel purpose machine.
Having drained the majority of the gearbox oil from the Leyland, along with the water which had infiltrated somehow, I decided to attempt to remove the water from the oil. Using a camping gas stove, until I ran out of gas, and then a vice and a blowtorch!
I had success removing the water from the oil but I can’t decide whether or not the oil I am left with is going to be suitable for re-use…
On wednesday a productive day was spent removing and repairing the fergie’s hydraulic pump.
The problem turned out to be that the rod which operated the control valve had bent and was therefore jammed.
In addition to this it was discovered that the oscillator rod had snapped at the point where it joins the square oscillator key. This is a system fitted to the revised pump as a way of preventing the control valve from sticking by forcing it to rock back and forth as the pump turns.
As a replacement part could not be sourced easily the decision was taken to leave out the oscillator assembly.
With the majority of the mechanical work completed the Kubota heads home for the final stages of reconditioning.
Primary cultivations at Easton College
Video made with the help of BBC Voices at The Forum in Norwich.
…the world’s most disappointing off-roader.
Work began today on the re-conditioning of a Puch Maxi moped.
So far water and stale fuel has been removed from the carb, the carb has been cleaned and serviced, and a spark has been achieved, no thanks to the existing wiring!
However, despite the presence of both fuel and a spark, the machine has yet to come to life, we suspect the cause is water in the crankcase contaminating each fresh charge of fuel… Hopefully the removal of the block overnight and the liberal application of water dispersing products to the crank case will remedy this;
Wiring Diagrams here.